Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Blog 34

A Palestinian Birthday

The sleuths at Addameer managed to find out that it was my birthday today and so we had a large chocolate cake for lunch. In true Ramallah style instead of using candles, “Jehad” Jehan stuck what looked disturbingly like a rocket in the top of the cake. What remained after ignition was delicious!

They wanted to get me a particular cd of Palestinian music but it was out of stock – so in keeping with the Ramallah theme they found a copy of a copy of the cd in question – it’s very nice.

On the inside of the cd somebody wrote “come back whenever you can, you have family here” - friends indeed.

After lunch Jehan and I take a statement from a university student who has just been released from 27 months of administrative detention. He was politically active in the student union at Birzeit university – that’s it. Of all the statements I have taken over the years I hope that these ones turn out to be the most useful.

No comments: